Church of The Sacred Heart & Our Lady

Click here for the latest report from Father James

Built in 1827, this is an early (pre-Emancipation) example of a village Catholic Church, paid for by the Catholic landlord, but much of its interest has been eroded by the changes wrought in 1912 and 1991.

In the late 17th century George Holman lived at Warkworth Castle (about 8 miles south of Aston le Walls) where he retained a Catholic chaplain.  The castle descended to the Eyre family who sold it in 1805, providing a chapel and priest’s house at the adjoining hamlet of Overthorpe.  The Catholic Plowden family owned the manor of Aston le Walls from the 17th century and in 1827 Edmund Plowden paid for the building of a Catholic chapel at Aston le Walls.  A schoolroom was opened in 1832.

The church was restored in 1912, when the exterior was rendered in cement and marble chippings and the interior woodwork was varnished.  In 1991 an extension was added to the west end of the church and the bell turret added.

Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, which was on 10th February this year and Mass with the imposing of Ash took place at 9.30am at St Mary’s primary School; 7pm at the Church.

Lent lunches are held in the Presbytery, with all proceeds to Educaid, our parish charity, and for which former villager Miriam Mason-Sesay (daughter of Vanessa and Martin) is the driving force!

Image result for history of sacred heart aston le walls

Image result for history of sacred heart aston le walls